Saturday, February 11, 2012

Look What We Cooked Up!

He's finally here.  I was about to punch someone last weekend when my due date came and went.  Sure enough, I had to keep my appointment to be induced Monday morning at 6 a.m.  So after a sleepless Sunday night, we piled into the car with Tessa, dropped her off with my father in law at 5:30 (God bless him), and got to the hospital at 6 on the dot.  I got checked in and climbed into the hospital bed while the nurse hooked up the IV and asked the million questions that's part of her job.  Ryan went back to the car to get all the luggage and other stuff and almost missed the doctor having to break my water.  Sure enough, within thirty minutes the contractions started coming every 3 to 4 minutes.  My nurse told me it was probably a good thing I did not start labor at home because of how quickly the contractions started.  While I am contracting constantly, my husband began analyzing the computer screen that had all the patient's contractions being tracked and comparing mine to theirs.  Then he would tell me to remember to breathe during the contractions and actually modeled how I should be breathing.  I finally told him to be quiet and stop offering me advice.  I love him more than anything, but I just wanted the epidural!

The angel, called the epidural man, finally arrived.  I don't remember getting my epidural with Tessa b/c it was the middle of the night and they had given me a full dose of Ambien.  I am a small person and don't handle sleep aids well.  I was in for a rude awakening when they gave me this epidural, especially when in the midst of a full contraction.  Ryan held my hands while I almost broke every bone in them, but all of that was so worth it!  Being numb is awesome.

After the epidural and a sigh of relief, we just hung out and waited.  Sorry if this is too much information!  When it was finally time to push, it took about the same amount of time as it did with Tessa!  An hour and a half later, our little guy was here!  Tessa weighed a petite 6 pounds 5 ounces.  Dempsey came in at a whopping 7 lbs. 15.5 ounces and was 21 1/2 inches long.  I have no idea how he fit in there!  The whole room of nurses and doctor went "Whoa!" when the scale finally read how much he weighed.  We were all betting on about 7 pounds.  He was a trooper as the cord was wrapped around his neck three times, but showed no distress or anything during the whole process. 

The hospital stay was all right.  We didn't get any sleep.  Being at home has been better as he is adjusting to sleeping during the night.  Overall, he is a good baby!  Tessa is an amazing big sister.  My husband is indescribable as a dad of two.  I have never been more in love with him and this family.  We are incredibly blessed!

1 comment: